While the cooking and baking posts on this blog are testament to the fact that I am willing to put a good bit of work into the food we eat, there are times when I’m just not really up for it. On days like that, I go for something comforting and simple. Now, I am aware that simple is a relative term. If you are used to food preparation being freezer to microwave, this will be a little more work than you are used to…but I have faith that even cooking novices can make this dish. Easy cheesy broccoli and rice is one of my most frequent go to recipes when I want something simple…and the way I make my cheese sauce is not only simple, but gluten-free.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice (I use basmati rice, but you could use instant rice and increase the amount to 2 cups.)
- 1 bag frozen broccoli (this is easy right, so I go with the microwave steamer bag)
- 1-12 oz can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp)
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking steam broccoli in microwave according to package directions.
- Combine rice and broccoli in a large bowl.
- Return pot in which you cooked the rice to medium heat. Combine evaporated milk, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and garlic powder in pot.
- When the milk is just starting to bubble remove it from heat. Whisk cheese into milk one cup at a time, until smooth.
- Combine cheese sauce with broccoli and rice.
This only takes about 25 minutes to make. In the spirit of keeping things simple we normally serve it with baked salmon fillets that have been marinated in buffalo wing sauce.