Several years ago my family went on vacation to North Carolina. While there we went and visited the Biltmore. It is a gorgeous house and the grounds are beautiful. By the time we finished touring the house it was almost 9 o’clock at night and we were all starving. With an hour and a half drive back to our lodgings, we looked for the first restaurant we could find–which happened to be a TGI Fridays. Now, I don’t remember what anyone in the family ate for dinner that night, except for my mother. Why do I remember what she ordered? From the first bite of her dinner, my mother was in love with her food. The mmmms and aaaaaaaaahs and ooohhhs were quite attention grabbing. My sister-in-law teasingly asked mom if her dinner was good and we all had a good laugh. We still crack jokes about that meal, all these years later. TGI Fridays hasn’t had lemon chicken scallopini on the menu for years. However, that doesn’t stop my mom talking about how good it was.
Since then, it has become a tradition that I make Lemon Chicken Scallopini for her birthday. I made this gluten free, by using rice flour and gluten free pasta. And in case you’re wondering, this is not in any way, shape or form a diet friendly meal!
Lemon Chicken Scallopini
- 2 large chicken breasts, butterflied
- rice flour (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 4 pieces bacon (or if you want to pay more, pancetta)
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz spaghetti, cooked to package directions
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Using scissors, cut the bacon into pieces and cook in the skillet until crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking coat the chicken breasts in the seasoned rice flour.
- Remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate and add the chicken breasts to the skillet. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until the chicken is nice and browned.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and add the onion and mushrooms to the skillet. Saute for a minute or two, until the mushrooms are cooked through and the onions are tender, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the garlic, capers, and white wine. Allow to simmer for 3 minutes. Then stir in the cream and lemon juice. Add the chicken back into the skillet and allow to cook for 3 more minutes.
- Give the sauce one last taste test and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve over spaghetti or alongside mashed potatoes if preferred.
- Garnish with bacon and flat leaf parsley if desired.
*This is enough to feed four people.