Dessert is one of life’s great pleasures. However, we try not to keep sweets around the house, because frankly, they are just too tempting. So when we do want something sweet, it usually involves rummaging through the fridge and pantry for ingredients. That is how this rice pudding recipe came to fruition. I had everything on hand. Depending on your choice of ingredients, this is also fairly low calorie as far as desserts go at 141 calories per serving (if you make this 8 serving). And of course, it’s gluten free.
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked (I use basmati)
- 4 cups skim milk
- 3/4 Splenda (sugar, can of course be substituted)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ounces raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rinse the rice.
- Add the rice, skim milk, Splenda, sugar, butter, salt, cinnamon and raisins to a medium sauce pan. Place over medium heat.
- Stir frequently until the mixture comes to a boil, then stir continuously.
- Cook until the rice is soft and the pudding is thick. Remove from heat and mix in vanilla.
- Serve warm.